We were really glad that we went to Indonesia to visit my parents with the baby. I know a lot of new parents can be very nervous when traveling for the first time with a baby, us included. But we made some really great memories in Indonesia and were so thankful for the experience.
We went when baby M was 4.5 months, and looking back, I think it was the perfect age to travel with a baby. She wasn't mobile yet so that made it a bit easier. She was also still waking up every 3 hours to feed so the time zone change didn't seem to affect her too much. Also, she didn't have stranger anxiety at this age, so she quickly warmed up to my parents as well as our temporary nanny.
We have a couple of domestic trips coming up, so it will be interesting to see what the new challenges traveling with her are at a slightly older age.
A couple of tips when traveling with an infant:
- Get the passport done early. We requested her passport when she was 2 months old, just to have it ready. We had plans to go to Indonesia, so we submitted the passport paperwork early to give ample time for the passport to arrive just to be safe.
- Talk to your pediatrician to see if there's any additional precautions or immunizations needed.
- If bottle feeding, bring extra bottles and plenty of milk/formula. We also carried on a small travel-sized container of dish soap and a new, unused toothbrush to clean the bottles during our layover.
- Bring plenty of wipes to sanitize your airplane seat, table, etc.
- Go with a travel partner! I can't imagine traveling alone on such a long flight, so having Dan to take turns holding the baby was HUGE.
Until next time!