Sunday, June 21, 2015

British Airways First Class LHR - SFO

This is a continuation of our London & Paris trip. You can find the full trip itinerary here. 

We had a 1 night layover in London on our return home, so we stayed at the Radisson Blu Heathrow. The hotel was a bit older but very crowded and actually quite lively that night. We ordered room service and then went to bed to get ready for our morning flight.

We were both excited to fly in First Class! This would be our second time ever, and hopefully not our last. :) We were able to find availability using miles, and even though the surcharges/taxes were quite expensive, we were glad to be able to experience flying in first class again.

I had read that the Heathrow airport had a dedicated first class lounge as well as a spa area, so we were excited to check it out.

The first thing we did once we got in was to put our name down for the complimentary spa treatment (chair massage or facial). Thankfully they had 2 spots open so we put our name down.

We then went to grab breakfast. At this lounge, we actually ordered food, restaurant style. All the booth seating was occupied so we sat at the bar. It was a nice treat to be able to eat a full breakfast at the lounge.

Breakfast at British Airways First Class Lounge

After breakfast, it was time for our complimentary spa appointment. Dan got the chair massage while I got the facial. I believe the treatments were 15 minutes. During my treatment I kept thinking how nice it was to get a facial as part of your pre-flight experience! If only we can do this every time we fly...hehe

After our treatment, we lost track of time and our flight was actually boarding. We rushed to our terminal and made it just in time!


The plane was a bit older, but the seats were nice and quite spacious (though not as spacious as Cathay).


We were offered a pre-departure drink, and I opted for white wine. They also provided pajamas as well as an amenity kit.


We both changed into the pajamas and then food service started. I would have to say that the service throughout the flight was excellent. The attendants were very polite, helpful, and friendly. 


For the appetizer, I got Asparagus with egg and truffle sauce, it was great. Creamy and refreshing.



For the main course, Dan ordered the salmon and I was excited to get Indian food! I actually love Indian food and I love to order it when available -- I think Singapore Airlines has Indian food as an option, too.



Here's my dish! It was chicken tikka masala with lentils, spinach, rice, and fried shallots. Yum! Portion was big so I wasn't able to finish all.


However, I did save room for dessert, which was chocolate torte with vanilla ice cream.


Overall dinner was pretty good. Afterwards I watched a couple movies and then took a nap. After I woke up, I was SUPER excited to try their Afternoon Tea. I LOVE afternoon teas and would eat it everyday if I can! The sandwiches were all really good - I almost asked for seconds.


The scones were served warm with clotted cream and jam. Just how I like it!


Thoughts:

Overall it was a great flight. I mean, no major complaints. Service was outstanding, food was good. If anything, the hard product itself could use some improvement. The seat was not that spacious considering it's a first class seat. It almost felt like a business class seat. Don't get me wrong, it's still spacious, but it definitely does not compare to Cathay which almost felt like twice as big.  Overall, we had a really enjoyable flight with great service.

No comments:

Post a Comment